Join the discussion 15 Comments

• Hayden says:

Did you do anything special to remove the silicone residue from the frame. I have replaced the lens in my hatch and the silicone didn’t stick to the frame because of the residue from the original install.

• ~Andy says:

What I used was Naptha VM&P for wiping / cleaning the residue off the frames and poly. This solvent does not harm the poly and does a good job of softening the silicone and tape residue. Beyond that, it’s a matter of repeating the process a few times and wiping it down really well to remove the silicone. Silicone is a bear to remove! It’s why I don’t really like it, but in some situations it’s really the only option… Hope this helps!

• Marty Milkovits says:

As usual another awesome video, You and Jamestown Distributors have been my constant companions during my recent restoration of a 20 ft sailboat

• Jim says:

I removed my hatch and cleaned up the frame as you showed in the video. I pulled back the headliner and found some moisture and soft core. I have dug out all the affected area and I am letting it dry out for a while. Once it is dry what is the best way to fill in the void left by the wet plywood that I removed?

Can I build a temporary tray and pour epoxy into the void or do I drill some holes in the deck and fill from the topside?

Thanks

• ~Andy says:

Hi Jim,

If you can, the best thing to do would be to replace the core with either new ply or balsa. How far into the cutout did you have to remove material?

• Jim says:

Hi Andy,
        I would say about 6″-8″.

Thanks
        Jim

• ~Andy says:

I’d try squaring off the core as best you can scraping with a chisel and cut a new piece of ply to fit in the void. Use thickened epoxy and be generous with it 😉 Have plastic covering everything below the work area in case any epoxy drips as you’re putting it in place.

• Nick says:

Andy,
    Do you also recommend using Naptha VM & P to clean the caulk & adhesive off the fiberglass or only on the frame?
    If not, what would you recommend? Acetone? MEK?

Please advise,
    Thanks In advance.
    Nick.

• ~Andy says:

Hi Nick!

Naptha would work just fine on the glass as well. Is the surface paint or gelcoat?

• Nick says:

I believe gelcoat.

• ~Andy says:

There shouldn’t be any issues using naptha on the gel to soften the old adhesive, but I’d still do the final wipe down with acetone before re-mounting the hardware 🙂 I think we’re going to have an early Spring this year! Are you working on projects now, or just getting things planned out for Spring?

• joseph ruo says:

I love your fiberglass n boat repair videos ! I have a passion for older powerboats and have 1971 233 Formula w a soft foredeck , a common problem w these balsa cored boats . Is there another way to stiffen up the deck besides popping the deck from the hull and flipping it upside down and chisling all the old coring out and recoring w new balsa and plywood ?

• Warren says:

Very well done video, thank you. It would also be helpful if you would identify the adhesives and caulks you are using.

• ~Andy says:

Trying to remember, but I think the plastic / glass is set in the frame with Dow Corning 795 and the frame is mounted to the deck using 3M 4000UV