Join the discussion 11 Comments

• JohnB says:

Super set- really enjoyable. Your presentational / video skills are excellent, as is your craftsmanship Andy. Rating 100% – top marks.

• John Miller says:

Great show!!! I will forward to a freind who is restoring a tri hull.
    Your boat is the same as mine.. http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090427/LIFE02/904270305/-1/LIFE0202
    Great Boat ….

• Andy says:

Hey John, I actually looked over your boat when I was doing my research! Great Job! Thanks for the kind words 🙂

~Andy

• OK says:

Bravo!

Love it!

• Naresh says:

Hi Andy,

Wonderful paint job on the boat. What is the wet sander do you use, can you make a vid on wet sanding surface? Whats the painting equipment?

Great job again!

Thanks,
    Naresh

• ~Andy says:

Hi Naresh,

The sander I use is made by QuickCut Sanders. Here’s a link There are vids on their website that cover most of what you’ll want to know if you’re looking for something like this 🙂

One thing to mention is that you’ll need a decent sized air compressor to operate it. Mine is a 60 gallon 12CFM model that is barely able to keep up under constant sanding. It does it, but the compressor runs the entire time.

Hope this helps!

~Andy

• John Suralik says:

I am restoring the gunwales of an older boat with lots of spider cracks and this has been very informative. I am going to use the technique that you showcased in this three video series. Thank you! What is the name of the quick setting fairing compound that you are using? Would it be ok to gelcoat over the fairing compound? Could you have used epoxy with microspheres?

• ~Andy says:

Hey John, If you’re going to be applying gelcoat over top of the repairs, I would recommend using a product called AdTech p-14 Ultra Filler (in white) for the filling / fairing.

Also, if you’re sticking with gelcoat for a finished surface you’ll want to steer away from using any kind of epoxy during the repair process (adhesion issues); stick with using polyester or vinylester resins for the glasswork 🙂

Hope this helps!

~Andy

• Wayne says:

John….type of spray system….HVLP ???

• Mark says:

I want to give you a HUGE Thank You. I have taken on a restoration and you have taken away a few fears that I had. I’ve restored homes and cars.. but now you have given me the confidence to take on this task and feel real good about my new hobby. Your videos have help me with taking on the fiberglass world and have given me a few ideas to enhance my own boat. Keep these videos coming. Thanks for being live and putting a few giggles in there… keeps me we subscribed and hope to learn more from you.