Join the discussion 9 Comments

• chris elkins says:

I have heard the epoxy used is critical. Also I have heard West system, the one used in the video, is one epoxy that can be used under gel coat.

Second issue. Those of us using epoxy never put gel coat directly on top the epoxy. We generally use a high build epoxy primer, and then a finish primer and then a 2 part polyurethane.

We dont want to have to sand the epoxy but generally would prefer to sand the high build as its a lot easier. Just wondering why you did not test the high build????

thanks.

Chris

• ~Andy says:

Hey Chris,

Sounds like the process you outlined is prep for painting? That’s pretty much the exact steps I take when spraying Awlgrip 🙂 I put this demo together for folks who are looking to use epoxy for their repairs but still finish off with gelcoat to blend their work. Epoxy has a lot of appeal for repair work (extended work times, stronger mechanical bonding, better moisture protection, etc). Most DIY owners are typically working on boats that have a gelcoat exterior, which is what the focus of this experiment was geared towards.

• Dominic Iadicicco says:

Hey Andy,

I keep hearing that a product call System Three SB-112 is an epoxy that is 100% with Polyester. They claim that you can use it as a tie Coat.

Also what about Pettit’s Tie Coat Primer? Could that work. It claims it kills the blush. I can’t speak from experience.

All the best.

Happy Holidays.

Dom

• Groundthing says:

I have been using west system to plug holes left in my transom from previous owners accessories. I have found if you grind down the surface of the west sytem after cure well below gel coat with a dremel grinding bit and then use 3m above and below filler to act as a bonding agent between the new gel coat and epoxy resin, the gel coat seems to set up just fine. I get so frustrated at gel coat that wont set up. Im a novice at this stuff but am a pretty handy guy, your videos have helped tramendously. Dont listen to the critics about your videos, the education of these products are money saved in my pocket.

Thanks for the info!
    Groundthing

• Alessandro says:

Hi Andy
    Ok gelcoat over epoxy.
    Now I have a doubt.
    Use the epox to repair a polyester laminate is correct? The repair is safe?
    To Repair a laminate polyester of my boat which resin you advice? Polyester or epoxy?
    The crack is below the waterline.

Thanks

• ~Andy says:

You’re safe to use poly above or below the waterline. If below the waterline I’ll typically do any fairing with thickened epoxy as it provides a better moisture barrier. Once the shape is right, then a coat or two of bottom paint 🙂 Hope this helps!

• Pat Chouinard says:

I am thinking about sanding down stress cracks on a Laser hull and then laying in fiberglass cloth using the 206 epoxy based on your test followed by bottom paint.

Logically the test results should be independent of whether epoxy is applied to gel coat or gel coat is applied to epoxy. Or do you have a different recommendation?

• ~Andy says:

Hi Pat! If you’re looking to prevent stress cracks from coming back, I’d sand the surface down to bare glass, then apply the new material followed by bottom paint. Its aways best to apply glass onto glass (when possible). Hope this helps! Thank you!!

• […] is the first of a two-part video series clearly demonstrating the techniques Andy used for his challenge, following up with the results as […]